The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Virgil

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

In article <nq3jb2lmvavivr3e5d01hanno4kg2qn77f@4ax.com>,
Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:24:32 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> >The issue is whether one can build an appropriate model for the geometry
> >one want within set theory. If one can, then the issue of whether that
> >is the only model becomes irrelevant.

> No the issue is whether set theory can be used to define circles. In
> present form elicited from various supporters of set theory it can't.

Set theory can define the set of real numbers and Cartesian products of
sets, so it can define the Cartesian plane, R^2, in which subsets of form
{(x,y): (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2} are the circles.

> >> The other problem is that whatever the foundation of set theory may be
> >> every constituent definition is a critical part of the edifice. A
> >> chain is no stronger than its weakest link. What is it that proves
> >> "set of all points . . ." definitions true?

> >Definitions are neither "true" not "false", they just are.

> Thanks for explaining that definitions are arbitrary assumptions of
> truth.

That is precisely contrary to what I actually said.

If you want to thank me for what I have not done, I have no particular
objection, but I question your motives.

A definition is merely an abbreviation, and as such, may useful or not,
and may be insanciated of not, but partakes of neither "truth" nor
"falsehood".

> >More relevant questions are whether they are useful, or whether they can
> >be instanciated within the theory in which they have been made..

> Well empirical utility is a measure of empirical utility not truth.

Precisely why the value of a definition is measured only by its
empirical utility.

> > I've already gone round
> >> and round with mathematikers who conflate transcendental numbers with
> >> irrational numbers for no better reason that both are described in
> >> rational terms with non repeating fractional expansions when in point
> >> of fact one describes curves and the other straight lines.

> >Neither kind or numbers describe curves or lines at all, but every
> >transcendental is also irrational.

> So I've often heard from those who deny the possibility of truth but
> proclaim it nonetheless when applied to their own parochial
> assumptions of truth.

This is not a matter of truth or falsehood but of satisfying definitions.

There are numbers which satisfy the mathematical definition of
irrational or transcendental. The square root of two is irrational but
not transcendental. Pi and Euler's e are both.

> >Perhaps Lester needs to go round and round with a few math text books
> >and math dictionaries.

> Oh Lester has gone round and round with just about everything except
> set theory definitions of circles, curves, and various other
> mathematical trivia.

To deal with more complicated and complex mathematics, one must be able
to deal with such trivia first.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?