The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

David C. Ullrich

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:21:59 -0700, Lester Zick
<DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 11:21:37 -0500, David C. Ullrich
><ullrich@math.okstate.edu> wrote:
>

>>On 14 Jul 2006 08:06:51 -0700, "Richard Henry" <pomerado@hotmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>I was taught that a set is "countable" if there exists a one-to-one
>>>correspondence between the elements of the set and the natural
>>>(counting) numbers.

>>Wel it's a good thing that you were taught that, because
>>that's the definition. (What's your point? We all know
>>that's the definition...)

>It might be better to describe that set property as comparable instead
>of countable.

And it might be better to describe elephants as apples instead
of elephants. Words in mathematics mean what the definitions
say they mean - if you insist on reading words as meaning what
they seem like they should mean instead of what the definition
says that's going to cause big problems.

>~v~~

************************

David C. Ullrich

Date Subject Author