The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 01:14:24 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <nq3jb2lmvavivr3e5d01hanno4kg2qn77f@4ax.com>,
> Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:24:32 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>> >The issue is whether one can build an appropriate model for the geometry
>> >one want within set theory. If one can, then the issue of whether that
>> >is the only model becomes irrelevant.

>> No the issue is whether set theory can be used to define circles. In
>> present form elicited from various supporters of set theory it can't.

>Set theory can define the set of real numbers

Technically set theory only assumes the set of real numbers by
assuming a natural number and the suc( ) axiom. I find it's usually
much easier to assume what one wants instead of demonstrating it.

> and Cartesian products of
>sets, so it can define the Cartesian plane, R^2, in which subsets of form
>{(x,y): (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2} are the circles.

Well hoho. Except what you claim defines plane circles actually
defines spheres.

>> >Definitions are neither "true" not "false", they just are.

>> Thanks for explaining that definitions are arbitrary assumptions of
>> truth.

>That is precisely contrary to what I actually said.

Coulda fooled me.

>If you want to thank me for what I have not done, I have no particular
>objection, but I question your motives.

My motive is to get rid of the idea that definitions are neither true
nor false.

>A definition is merely an abbreviation, and as such, may useful or not,
>and may be insanciated of not, but partakes of neither "truth" nor
>"falsehood".

I certainly agree you can say whatever you like and abbreviate it any
way you like. But I do not agree you can claim whatever you like about
what you say by calling it a definition.

>> >More relevant questions are whether they are useful, or whether they can
>> >be instanciated within the theory in which they have been made..

>> Well empirical utility is a measure of empirical utility not truth.

>Precisely why the value of a definition is measured only by its
>empirical utility.

Only in empricism. Mathematics isn't supposed to be empirical.

>> > I've already gone round

>> >Neither kind or numbers describe curves or lines at all, but every
>> >transcendental is also irrational.

>> So I've often heard from those who deny the possibility of truth but
>> proclaim it nonetheless when applied to their own parochial
>> assumptions of truth.

>This is not a matter of truth or falsehood but of satisfying definitions.

So now you're claiming set theory definitions are not about truth?

>There are numbers which satisfy the mathematical definition of
>irrational or transcendental. The square root of two is irrational but
>not transcendental. Pi and Euler's e are both.

No shit?

>> >Perhaps Lester needs to go round and round with a few math text books
>> >and math dictionaries.

>> Oh Lester has gone round and round with just about everything except
>> set theory definitions of circles, curves, and various other
>> mathematical trivia.

>To deal with more complicated and complex mathematics, one must be able
>to deal with such trivia first.

Yeah well good luck with calling set theory definitions of spheres
circles.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06