The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 07:21:24 -0500, David C. Ullrich
<ullrich@math.okstate.edu> wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:21:59 -0700, Lester Zick
><DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 11:21:37 -0500, David C. Ullrich
>><ullrich@math.okstate.edu> wrote:

>>>Wel it's a good thing that you were taught that, because
>>>that's the definition. (What's your point? We all know
>>>that's the definition...)

>>It might be better to describe that set property as comparable instead
>>of countable.

>And it might be better to describe elephants as apples instead
>of elephants.

Actually not. There's a reason words are used the way they are to
describe what they describe.

> Words in mathematics mean what the definitions
>say they mean

Yes well that's true in most languages. The problem is that
definitions in set theory borrow words from generic language then
claim that they mean something other than what they mean in generic
language because the motive of modern mathematikers is to make
meanings more precise and then claim the support of mathematics in
general as justification for those changes in meanings.

> - if you insist on reading words as meaning what
>they seem like they should mean instead of what the definition
>says that's going to cause big problems.

Good. I couldn't be happier.

>>~v~~
>

>************************
>
>David C. Ullrich