The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Patricia Shanahan

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

abo wrote:
> Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>> I am very familiar with the difficulties of arithmetic with a bounded
>> range. You lose all sorts of useful properties, such as associativity
>> and commutativity of addition. Adding up numbers in one order may lead
>> to an overflow, adding them in a different order doesn't.

> Order doesn't matter if one is working in the natural numbers, of
> course. In the natural numbers both commutativity and associativity
> hold, in these forms:
>
> (x)(y)(z)(x + y = z ==> y + x = z)
> (u)(x)(y)(z)(u + (x + y) = z ==> (u + x) + y = z)

Yes, I was wrong in a couple of ways. Commutativity is not affected by
gaps and bounds, and bounds do not affect unsigned addition associativity.

However, associativity is lost for signed arithmetic if there are
bounds, and even for unsigned arithmetic if there are gaps.

For example, u, (x+y), and u+(x+y)=z could all exist, but u+x could fall
in a gap, and not exist.

Patricia

Date Subject Author
7/12/06