The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

malbrain@yahoo.com

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> Karl Malbrain wrote:
> > Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> >> Ultimately, I don't think the subject of this thread even asks the right
> >> question. It should be "Set theory: Should you use?". I don't even know
> >> what it means to believe set theory.
> >>

> > Believing means to agree with the axioms of set theory.
> >
> > intransitive verb
> > 1 a : to have a firm religious faith b : to accept as true, genuine, or
> > real <ideals we believe in> <believes in ghosts>
> >
> > karl m
> >

> That pushes it back to the question of what does it mean to "agree with
> the axioms".

agree:
1. To harmonize in opinion, statement, or action; to be in
unison or concord; to be or become united or consistent;
to concur; as, all parties agree in the expediency of the
law.

You agree with the given system of axioms that negate the
inconsistencies of the previous system.

> It could either mean "agree that they appear to be good, workable,
> axioms", or "agree that they are true, in some absolute sense that would
> make contradictory sets of axioms false".

Yes, sets of axioms that are contradictory within themselves make an
inconsistent system. So both are true.

> I agree with them in the first sense, but not the second.

I don't see how.

> I do not believe in them as a matter of religious or similar belief. For
> example, I would not be particularly disturbed if I heard tomorrow that
> someone competent to evaluate proofs had found a proof of inconsistency
> of ZF.

religion:
4. Strictness of fidelity in conforming to any practice, as
if it were an enjoined rule of conduct.

Why do you have a problem with this. How else would you perform
mathematics?

karl m
karl m

Date Subject Author