The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Chas Brown

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Karl Malbrain wrote:
> Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> > Karl Malbrain wrote:
> > >>

> > > Believing means to agree with the axioms of set theory.
> > >
> > > intransitive verb
> > > 1 a : to have a firm religious faith b : to accept as true, genuine, or
> > > real <ideals we believe in> <believes in ghosts>
> > >
> > > karl m
> > >

> > That pushes it back to the question of what does it mean to "agree with
> > the axioms".

> agree:
> 1. To harmonize in opinion, statement, or action; to be in
> unison or concord; to be or become united or consistent;
> to concur; as, all parties agree in the expediency of the
> law.
>
> You agree with the given system of axioms that negate the
> inconsistencies of the previous system.
>

> > It could either mean "agree that they appear to be good, workable,
> > axioms", or "agree that they are true, in some absolute sense that would
> > make contradictory sets of axioms false".

> Yes, sets of axioms that are contradictory within themselves make an
> inconsistent system. So both are true.
>

> > I agree with them in the first sense, but not the second.
>
> I don't see how.

Let theory A be geometry using Euclid's rules, including the parallel
postulate; i.e., loosely speaking, that parallel lines don't intersect.

Let theory B be Euclid's postulates, excluding the parallel postulate,
and instead including the postulate that every pair of distinct
parallel lines intersect at two points.

Theory A is useful in certain cases; theory B is useful in other cases.
Why must one be "true" and the other "false", simply because the two
theories contradict each other?

> > I do not believe in them as a matter of religious or similar belief. For
> > example, I would not be particularly disturbed if I heard tomorrow that
> > someone competent to evaluate proofs had found a proof of inconsistency
> > of ZF.

> religion:
> 4. Strictness of fidelity in conforming to any practice, as
> if it were an enjoined rule of conduct.

Licensed plumbers conform to a strict practice with great fidelity, "as
if" it were an enjoined rule of conduct. Do you claim that "Plumbing"
is a religion?

Cheers - Chas

Date Subject Author
7/12/06