The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

malbrain@yahoo.com

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

cbr...@cbrownsystems.com wrote:
> Karl Malbrain wrote:
> > Patricia Shanahan wrote:

> > > That pushes it back to the question of what does it mean to "agree with
> > > the axioms".

> > agree:
> > 1. To harmonize in opinion, statement, or action; to be in
> > unison or concord; to be or become united or consistent;
> > to concur; as, all parties agree in the expediency of the
> > law.
> >
> > You agree with the given system of axioms that negate the
> > inconsistencies of the previous system.
> >

> > > It could either mean "agree that they appear to be good, workable,
> > > axioms", or "agree that they are true, in some absolute sense that would
> > > make contradictory sets of axioms false".

> > Yes, sets of axioms that are contradictory within themselves make an
> > inconsistent system. So both are true.
> >

> > > I agree with them in the first sense, but not the second.
> >
> > I don't see how.
> >

> Let theory A be geometry using Euclid's rules, including the parallel
> postulate; i.e., loosely speaking, that parallel lines don't intersect.
>

> Let theory B be Euclid's postulates, excluding the parallel postulate,
> and instead including the postulate that every pair of distinct
> parallel lines intersect at two points.
>
> Theory A is useful in certain cases; theory B is useful in other cases.
> Why must one be "true" and the other "false", simply because the two
> theories contradict each other?

Yes, the two systems within themselves must hold their counterparts
false.

> > > I do not believe in them as a matter of religious or similar belief. For
> > > example, I would not be particularly disturbed if I heard tomorrow that
> > > someone competent to evaluate proofs had found a proof of inconsistency
> > > of ZF.

> > religion:
> > 4. Strictness of fidelity in conforming to any practice, as
> > if it were an enjoined rule of conduct.
> >

> Licensed plumbers conform to a strict practice with great fidelity, "as
> if" it were an enjoined rule of conduct. Do you claim that "Plumbing"
> is a religion?

enjoin:
To lay upon, as an order or command; to give an injunction
to; to direct with authority; to order; to charge

Yes, more so than not. Plumbers don't accept outsiders to enjoin the
trade. You describe the problem you're having to a plumber and he
fixes it (or not).

karl m

Date Subject Author
7/12/06