The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

jirka@5z.com

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Karl Malbrain wrote:
> By the definition I gave above, it is. When you work within the ZFC
> system you have to agree to the axioms of ZFC. What is the difference
> between "pragmatic acceptance" and belief?

There is a world of difference. If I truly believe something to be
true then I do not admit the possibility of it being false. I do allow
for the possibility that someone will find an inconsistency in ZFC.
Thus I don't believe in ZFC. I find it improbable, but possible.

Further, a computer can construct a proof using ZFC. But the computer
does not even know the "meaning" of the statements, it most certainly
does not "believe" in the axioms. In fact I could in fact think that a
given axiom system A is in fact bad and inconsistent, and still
construct proofs A => B. For example my acceptance of axiom of choice
is purely from the standpoint of "it makes many proofs easy, it proves
wonderful results and it doesn't seem to mess things up too much" I
don't particularly believe that it is true or not. I am happier with a
proof not using axiom of choice and I'm happy with proofs assuming the
negation of axiom of choice. Why do you want to force me to "believe"
in something I clearly don't.

I'm starting to believe, however, that you are, in fact, a crank.

Jiri

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?