The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

malbrain@yahoo.com

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

cbrown@cbrownsystems.com wrote:
> Karl Malbrain wrote:
> > cbr...@cbrownsystems.com wrote:

> > > Let theory A be geometry using Euclid's rules, including the parallel
> > > postulate; i.e., loosely speaking, that parallel lines don't intersect.
> > >

> > > Let theory B be Euclid's postulates, excluding the parallel postulate,
> > > and instead including the postulate that every pair of distinct
> > > parallel lines intersect at two points.
> > >
> > > Theory A is useful in certain cases; theory B is useful in other cases.
> > > Why must one be "true" and the other "false", simply because the two
> > > theories contradict each other?

> > Yes, the two systems within themselves must hold their counterparts
> > false.
> >

> So according to you, on one day, I believe that planar geometry is true
> (if I am working that day in the plane), and the next day, I cease to
> believe in the truth of planar geometry, and instead believe in the
> truth of spherical geometry?

Belief means you agree with the axioms. The two systems give different
results. A result under one system is not going to just operate in the
other.

> I don't find that to be the case for me; at least for the usual
> meanings of the terms "believe" and "truth" /in this context/.

truth:
1. The quality or being true; as:
(a) Conformity to fact or reality; exact accordance with
that which is, or has been; or shall be.
(b) Conformity to rule; exactness; close correspondence
with an example, mood, object of imitation, or the
like.

If a mathematical result conforms to the axioms you agree to opoerate
within, you get mathematical truth.

> If I ask you: "suppose my mother and father are both dead; does that
> make me an orphan?", do you need to actually believe that my parents
> are truly dead before you can respond? Can't you simply "suppose" it,
> hypothetically?

suppose:
2. To imagine; to believe; to receive as true.

How easy is a bush supposed a bear! --Shak.

Let not my lord suppose that they have slain all the
young men, the king's sons; for Amnon only is dead.
--2 Sam. xiii. 32.

> Likewise, if I ask, "assume Euclid's postulates with the parallel
> postulate; is it then the case that all trinagles have angles summing
> to 180 degrees?", do you need to actually believe that planar geometry
> is the only true geometry in order to respond?

You always have to know what system you're working within.

> I find that, for me, the answer to both these questions is "no" (i.e.,
> I don't need to actually believe in the truth of these suppositions; in
> the sense that I /do/ believe that my parents are truly /not/ dead, or
> that the sun will truly rise tommorow).

I'm not clear on your point here. "Suppose" is a transitive verb.

> On the other hand, I do believe in the truth of the statement "if we
> assume Euclidean geometry with the parallel postulate, then all
> triangles have angles summing to 180 degrees"; but that is a belief in
> the truth of the fact that it logically follows from the given axioms -
> not a belief in the truth of the axioms themselves.

Exactly. The axioms are not things in themselves.

> > > Licensed plumbers conform to a strict practice with great fidelity, "as
> > > if" it were an enjoined rule of conduct. Do you claim that "Plumbing"
> > > is a religion?

> > enjoin:
> > To lay upon, as an order or command; to give an injunction
> > to; to direct with authority; to order; to charge
> >
> > Yes, more so than not. Plumbers don't accept outsiders to enjoin the
> > trade. You describe the problem you're having to a plumber and he
> > fixes it (or not).
> >

> You have a rather odd approach to the dictionary; it seems intended to
> blur meanings, rather than to clarify them.

Sorry if it seems a little odd.

> If "Plumbing" is a religion, then what /isn't/ a religion? Is "taking
> out the garbage" a religion, requiring a weekly observance where a
> proscribed device for conveying garbage (the garbage can) is deposited
> at a specific location (the curb) on a particular day of the week
> ("garbage day")?

I suppose it might be seen that way to a recalcitrant 7 year old.

karl m

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?