The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Patricia Shanahan

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Karl Malbrain wrote:
> Jiri Lebl wrote:
>> Karl Malbrain wrote:
>>>>

>>> Believing means to agree with the axioms of set theory.
>>>
>>> intransitive verb
>>> 1 a : to have a firm religious faith b : to accept as true, genuine, or
>>> real <ideals we believe in> <believes in ghosts>

>> To say that is about as stupid as to say something like "Do you believe
>> in a screwdriver." It is a tool that you use, just like set theory.

> Far from stupid, I believe in a screwdriver when I meet up with a loose
> screw -- I suppose others might believe in a hammer.

The distinction I'm trying to make, between "believe" and "use", is
obviously only going to be meaningful to people who regard "believe" and
"use" as different words, with different meanings.

Patricia

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?