The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

malbrain@yahoo.com

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Jiri Lebl wrote:
> Karl Malbrain wrote:
> > By the definition I gave above, it is. When you work within the ZFC
> > system you have to agree to the axioms of ZFC. What is the difference
> > between "pragmatic acceptance" and belief?

> There is a world of difference. If I truly believe something to be
> true then I do not admit the possibility of it being false. I do allow
> for the possibility that someone will find an inconsistency in ZFC.
> Thus I don't believe in ZFC. I find it improbable, but possible.

And this changes your practice of mathematics, exactly how?

> Further, a computer can construct a proof using ZFC. But the computer
> does not even know the "meaning" of the statements, it most certainly
> does not "believe" in the axioms.

On the contrary, it knows nothing else but the axioms you as subject
put at-play for it as object.

> In fact I could in fact think that a
> given axiom system A is in fact bad and inconsistent, and still
> construct proofs A => B.

But, that's exactly what agreement means.

> For example my acceptance of axiom of choice
> is purely from the standpoint of "it makes many proofs easy, it proves
> wonderful results and it doesn't seem to mess things up too much" I
> don't particularly believe that it is true or not. I am happier with a
> proof not using axiom of choice and I'm happy with proofs assuming the
> negation of axiom of choice. Why do you want to force me to "believe"
> in something I clearly don't.

What I said was that believing in set theory means you agree with the
axioms of set theory. Where is your notion of belief coming from?

karl m

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?