The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

malbrain@yahoo.com

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> Karl Malbrain wrote:
> > Jiri Lebl wrote:

> >> To say that is about as stupid as to say something like "Do you believe
> >> in a screwdriver." It is a tool that you use, just like set theory.

> > Far from stupid, I believe in a screwdriver when I meet up with a loose
> > screw -- I suppose others might believe in a hammer.

> The distinction I'm trying to make, between "believe" and "use", is
> obviously only going to be meaningful to people who regard "believe" and
> "use" as different words, with different meanings.

The difference between them is known as commitment:
1. The act of committing, or putting in charge, keeping, or
trust; consignment; esp., the act of committing to prison.

As an engineer, I know my systems enough to trust them because I am
commited to maintaining them.

karl m

Date Subject Author
7/12/06