The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 17 Jul 2006 14:15:19 -0700, "Karl Malbrain" <malbrain@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>cbrown@cbrownsystems.com wrote:

>> Karl Malbrain wrote:

>> > Yes, the two systems within themselves must hold their counterparts
>> > false.
>> >

>> So according to you, on one day, I believe that planar geometry is true
>> (if I am working that day in the plane), and the next day, I cease to
>> believe in the truth of planar geometry, and instead believe in the
>> truth of spherical geometry?

>Belief means you agree with the axioms. The two systems give different
>results. A result under one system is not going to just operate in the
>other.
>

>> I don't find that to be the case for me; at least for the usual
>> meanings of the terms "believe" and "truth" /in this context/.

>truth:
> 1. The quality or being true; as:
> (a) Conformity to fact or reality; exact accordance with
> that which is, or has been; or shall be.
> (b) Conformity to rule; exactness; close correspondence
> with an example, mood, object of imitation, or the
> like.
>
>If a mathematical result conforms to the axioms you agree to opoerate
>within, you get mathematical truth.

Not exactly. All you've got at that point is axiomatic truth, self
consistency between axiomatic assumptions and extraplated theorems.

>> If I ask you: "suppose my mother and father are both dead; does that
>> make me an orphan?", do you need to actually believe that my parents
>> are truly dead before you can respond? Can't you simply "suppose" it,
>> hypothetically?

>suppose:
> 2. To imagine; to believe; to receive as true.
>
> How easy is a bush supposed a bear! --Shak.
>
> Let not my lord suppose that they have slain all the
> young men, the king's sons; for Amnon only is dead.
> --2 Sam. xiii. 32.
>

>> Likewise, if I ask, "assume Euclid's postulates with the parallel
>> postulate; is it then the case that all trinagles have angles summing
>> to 180 degrees?", do you need to actually believe that planar geometry
>> is the only true geometry in order to respond?

>You always have to know what system you're working within.
>

>> I find that, for me, the answer to both these questions is "no" (i.e.,
>> I don't need to actually believe in the truth of these suppositions; in
>> the sense that I /do/ believe that my parents are truly /not/ dead, or
>> that the sun will truly rise tommorow).

>I'm not clear on your point here. "Suppose" is a transitive verb.
>

>> On the other hand, I do believe in the truth of the statement "if we
>> assume Euclidean geometry with the parallel postulate, then all
>> triangles have angles summing to 180 degrees"; but that is a belief in
>> the truth of the fact that it logically follows from the given axioms -
>> not a belief in the truth of the axioms themselves.

>Exactly. The axioms are not things in themselves.

Sez who? Axioms are as much things in themselves as any other
assumptions.

>> > enjoin:
>> > To lay upon, as an order or command; to give an injunction
>> > to; to direct with authority; to order; to charge
>> >
>> > Yes, more so than not. Plumbers don't accept outsiders to enjoin the
>> > trade. You describe the problem you're having to a plumber and he
>> > fixes it (or not).
>> >

>> You have a rather odd approach to the dictionary; it seems intended to
>> blur meanings, rather than to clarify them.

>Sorry if it seems a little odd.
>

>> If "Plumbing" is a religion, then what /isn't/ a religion? Is "taking
>> out the garbage" a religion, requiring a weekly observance where a
>> proscribed device for conveying garbage (the garbage can) is deposited
>> at a specific location (the curb) on a particular day of the week
>> ("garbage day")?

>I suppose it might be seen that way to a recalcitrant 7 year old.
>
>karl m

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06