The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Jack Markan

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> Technically set theory only assumes the set of real numbers by
> assuming a natural number and the suc( ) axiom.

In Z set theory, from just the axiom schema of separation and the axiom
of extensionality, we prove the existence of a unique empty set, which
then fits the definition of the least natural number. And for any given
natural number, we can prove its existence, even without the axiom of
infinity. And we prove the existence of the set of natural numbers from
the axioms but now including the axiom of infinity. And then the
existence of the set of real numbers is proven (and we can construct
different structures that are complete ordered fields, all of which are
isomorphic).

So I don't know what assumption of the existence of a (particular)
natural number you have in mind and then what axiom you mean by the
"suc( )" axiom.

As to circles, we can define them in set theory:

Let X stand for Cartesian product (which is definable in set theory).
Let R stand for the set of real numbers (which is definable in set
theory).
Let d stand for the standard distance function on RxR (which is
definable in set theory).
Let > stand for the standard ordering on R (which is definiable in set
theory).
Let 0 stand for the real number zero (which is definable in set
theory).

c is a circle <-> EpEe(p in RXR & e>0 & Az(zec -> (z in RXR & d(p z) =
e)))

I.e., a circle c is a set of points in RXR such that there is a given
point p and a given non-zero distance e such that each member of c is e
distance from p.

And this definition can be adjusted to define 'is a circle' in other
n-dimensional spaces.

MoeBlee

Date Subject Author
7/12/06