The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Chas Brown

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Karl Malbrain wrote:
> cbrown@cbrownsystems.com wrote:
> > Karl Malbrain wrote:

> > > Yes, the two systems within themselves must hold their counterparts
> > > false.
> > >

> > So according to you, on one day, I believe that planar geometry is true
> > (if I am working that day in the plane), and the next day, I cease to
> > believe in the truth of planar geometry, and instead believe in the
> > truth of spherical geometry?

> Belief means you agree with the axioms.

Consider:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_group_theory

I don't "agree" or "disagree" with the axioms that define a group. What
could it even mean to "disagree" with the axiom "for every element,
there exists an inverse"? I can only agree or disagree to /use/ those
axioms as the basis of a logical argument.

There is, to be sure, a larger sense in which I "agree" that when
someone writes "the functions in the set X form a group under
composition", the writer almost surely uses the same set of axioms that
I use to define a group; thus we "agree on the axioms", and we agree
that every element has an inverse, etc.

And I can agree or disagree that it logically follows that the elements
of X do then indeed form a group under composition.

And most philosophically, I might agree or disagree that these axioms
capture certain mathematical intuitions; for example, that my internal
conception of the integers obeys or does not obey the axioms of a group
with respect to addition.

But that seems to have little to do with "agreeing with the axioms", or
believing those axioms to be "true" in some philosophical sense.

> The two systems give different
> results. A result under one system is not going to just operate in the
> other.

Exactly. But what does that have to do with belief in a particular
axiomatic system?

> > I don't find that to be the case for me; at least for the usual
> > meanings of the terms "believe" and "truth" /in this context/.

> truth:
> 1. The quality or being true; as:
> (a) Conformity to fact or reality; exact accordance with
> that which is, or has been; or shall be.
> (b) Conformity to rule; exactness; close correspondence
> with an example, mood, object of imitation, or the
> like.
>
> If a mathematical result conforms to the axioms you agree to opoerate
> within, you get mathematical truth.

I happen to agree; a common definition of "mathematical truth" is
"follows logically from a particular set of axioms". So why not simply
say just that? Why first quote 2 dictionary definitions, which don't
particularly agree with your final definition?

> > If I ask you: "suppose my mother and father are both dead; does that
> > make me an orphan?", do you need to actually believe that my parents
> > are truly dead before you can respond? Can't you simply "suppose" it,
> > hypothetically?

> suppose:
> 2. To imagine; to believe; to receive as true.

While the word "suppose" can certainly be used as a synonym for
"believe to be true", in general there's a difference to native English
speakers between me asking you to suppose that I am your God, and me
asking you to believe that I am your God.

> > Likewise, if I ask, "assume Euclid's postulates with the parallel
> > postulate; is it then the case that all trinagles have angles summing
> > to 180 degrees?", do you need to actually believe that planar geometry
> > is the only true geometry in order to respond?

> You always have to know what system you're working within.

Of course; but what does that have to do with believing in that system?

> > I find that, for me, the answer to both these questions is "no" (i.e.,
> > I don't need to actually believe in the truth of these suppositions; in
> > the sense that I /do/ believe that my parents are truly /not/ dead, or
> > that the sun will truly rise tommorow).

> I'm not clear on your point here. "Suppose" is a transitive verb.

I have to ask: is English your native language?

What I am trying to indicate is the difference in mathematical usage
and thinking between the statements "if A then B" and "A, therefore B".

In the former case, one need not assume that A is true in order to
evaluate whether the statement "if A then B" is true. Both the
statements "A is false" and "if A then B" can be true simultaneously.

In the latter case, if "A is false" is a true statement, then the
statement "A, therefore B" is neccesarily false.

So when I say "if we assume the axioms of euclidean geometry, then
every triangle has a total of 180 degrees"; that is really a different
sort of statement than "The axioms of Euclidean geometry are true;
therefore every triangle has 180 degrees".

This is similar to the usage distinction between "(I ask that you)
suppose A; then B (would logically follow)" and "believe A (because it
is true), therefore B"; where the words in parantheses are implicit in
the usage.

> > On the other hand, I do believe in the truth of the statement "if we
> > assume Euclidean geometry with the parallel postulate, then all
> > triangles have angles summing to 180 degrees"; but that is a belief in
> > the truth of the fact that it logically follows from the given axioms -
> > not a belief in the truth of the axioms themselves.

> Exactly. The axioms are not things in themselves.

Sorry, I don't really understand that phrase, which seems to pop up in
philosophical discussions.

What does it mean, for example, to say that the axiom in ZFC "(A = B)
iff an element x is in A if and only if it is in B" is not "a thing in
itself"?

Is the number 2 a "thing in itself"? Is anything mathematical a "thing
in itself"?

> > > enjoin:
> > > To lay upon, as an order or command; to give an injunction
> > > to; to direct with authority; to order; to charge
> > >
> > > Yes, more so than not. Plumbers don't accept outsiders to enjoin the
> > > trade. You describe the problem you're having to a plumber and he
> > > fixes it (or not).
> > >

> > You have a rather odd approach to the dictionary; it seems intended to
> > blur meanings, rather than to clarify them.

> Sorry if it seems a little odd.

I just find it impedes communication rather than improves it.

> > If "Plumbing" is a religion, then what /isn't/ a religion? Is "taking
> > out the garbage" a religion, requiring a weekly observance where a
> > proscribed device for conveying garbage (the garbage can) is deposited
> > at a specific location (the curb) on a particular day of the week
> > ("garbage day")?

> I suppose it might be seen that way to a recalcitrant 7 year old.

Perhaps to a recalcitrant seven year old doing her homework,
mathematics is a religion as well (or a hell or a heaven, depending on
inclinations); but I think that there are many obvious differences
between mathematics and anything I would seriously call a religion.

Cheers - Chas

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?