The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Aatu Koskensilta

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> Ultimately, I don't think the subject of this thread even asks the right
> question. It should be "Set theory: Should you use?". I don't even know
> what it means to believe set theory.

It means you think the axioms of set theory are true, i.e. that you
think that for every set its power set exists, the union of any set
exists, and so forth. If you don't, what right do you have to go about
claiming that e.g. there are no positive naturals a,b,c,n s.t. a^{n+2} +
b^{n+2} = c^{n+2} on basis of a set theoretical proof?

I recommend we all read again Torkel Franzén's splendid exposition of
these issues in his PhD thesis Truth and Provability!

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta@xortec.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man schweigen"

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger