The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 18 Jul 2006 09:07:46 -0700, "Karl Malbrain" <malbrain@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>cbrown@cbrownsystems.com wrote:

>> Karl Malbrain wrote:

>> > Belief means you agree with the axioms.

>> Consider:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_group_theory
>>
>> I don't "agree" or "disagree" with the axioms that define a group. What
>> could it even mean to "disagree" with the axiom "for every element,
>> there exists an inverse"? I can only agree or disagree to /use/ those
>> axioms as the basis of a logical argument.

>Let's take the axiom of induction. We agree among ourselves that we
>don't need to prove each and every case individually. We agree that
>all we need is a base case and an exposition that truth at case n
>implies truth at case n+1.
>

>> There is, to be sure, a larger sense in which I "agree" that when
>> someone writes "the functions in the set X form a group under
>> composition", the writer almost surely uses the same set of axioms that
>> I use to define a group; thus we "agree on the axioms", and we agree
>> that every element has an inverse, etc.

>It's stronger. The axioms are agreements within themselves.

And beliefs are nothing but agreements within themselves.

>> And I can agree or disagree that it logically follows that the elements
>> of X do then indeed form a group under composition.
>>
>> And most philosophically, I might agree or disagree that these axioms
>> capture certain mathematical intuitions; for example, that my internal
>> conception of the integers obeys or does not obey the axioms of a group
>> with respect to addition.
>>
>> But that seems to have little to do with "agreeing with the axioms", or
>> believing those axioms to be "true" in some philosophical sense.

>It boils down to one's commitment within the given system.

Of course it does. Beliefs usually do.

>(....)

>> > Exactly. The axioms are not things in themselves.
>> >

>> Sorry, I don't really understand that phrase, which seems to pop up in
>> philosophical discussions.
>>
>> What does it mean, for example, to say that the axiom in ZFC "(A = B)
>> iff an element x is in A if and only if it is in B" is not "a thing in
>> itself"?

>Something is a thing-in-itself when you lack the basis to further break
>it down into more primitive components.

Beliefs, axioms, and assumptions constitute the infinte set of all
things people are too lazy or stupid to break down.

>> Is the number 2 a "thing in itself"? Is anything mathematical a "thing
>> in itself"?

>No, it's zero and the successor twice.
>
>karl m

~v~~