The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:59:40 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <q36ob213q98jmnaddpjfa95lk5ms282krq@4ax.com>,
> Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:
>

>> The question I have is whether you or others believe in the
>> possibility of universally exhaustively true mathematical axioms?

>What is "truth"?

I approach the subject the other way around. I try to define "false"
and determine "truth" to be what is not false. Of course the
difficulty here is that there are many problematic claims whose
falseness we cannot determine. So we have to find some method of
reducing falseness unambiguously such that alternatives must be
universally true. It' a pretty little problem but not intractable.

>I can deal with the tautologous logical truth of implications like "if P
>then (P or Q)", but other than those, which include the more complex
>logical deductions from a set of axioms, I know of no absolute truth.

Ah but there is the mechanically reducible absolute falseness of self
contradiction such that alternatives to self contradiction must be
necessarily and universally true.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06