The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 17 Jul 2006 22:29:00 -0700, cbrown@cbrownsystems.com wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:
>

>> It has often been stated to me as zero and suc(0). I don't agree that
>> zero is a natural number but for what it's worth there it is.
>>

>But surely you agree that 1 is the loneliest number?

Definitely. I'm not sure I'm the loneliest but pretty close to it.

>Although there are some who claim that 2 can be as bad as 1, it is
>generally accepted [*] that 2 is the loneliest number /since/ the
>number 1. It has also been more directly claimed that 1 is strictly
>worse than 2, "whoah-oh" [ibid].
>
><snip>
>

>> Except this seems to define a sphere.
>
>In fact, a 1-sphere; also known as a circle.

I should have thought the 1 sphere would have been known as a straight
line, the circle as a 2 sphere. My main problem seems to be there
aren't any connections between n spheres and set theory. All I can see
set theorists doing is assuming auxilliary geometric notions about
whatever they want to pretend is defineded by set theory and then
claiming they're defined by set theory when the most they can actually
claim is that their various assumptions about geometric objects are
vaguely described numerically by set theory.

> It's been conjectured to
>be the loneliest n-sphere since the 0-sphere; although Nilsson et al
>have yet to express an opinion on this.

Personally I find that 1 and suc(1) define 1, 2, e, 3, pi, 4 etc. I
recognize this diverges from conventional assumptions but for what
it's worth there it is.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06