The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

malbrain@yahoo.com

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> On 18 Jul 2006 09:07:46 -0700, "Karl Malbrain" <malbrain@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >cbrown@cbrownsystems.com wrote:

> >> Consider:
> >>
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_group_theory
> >>
> >> I don't "agree" or "disagree" with the axioms that define a group. What
> >> could it even mean to "disagree" with the axiom "for every element,
> >> there exists an inverse"? I can only agree or disagree to /use/ those
> >> axioms as the basis of a logical argument.

> >Let's take the axiom of induction. We agree among ourselves that we
> >don't need to prove each and every case individually. We agree that
> >all we need is a base case and an exposition that truth at case n
> >implies truth at case n+1.
> >

> >> There is, to be sure, a larger sense in which I "agree" that when
> >> someone writes "the functions in the set X form a group under
> >> composition", the writer almost surely uses the same set of axioms that
> >> I use to define a group; thus we "agree on the axioms", and we agree
> >> that every element has an inverse, etc.

> >It's stronger. The axioms are agreements within themselves.

> And beliefs are nothing but agreements within themselves.

You're cynical, but getting close. The axioms are agreements, and our
belief in the axioms' system becomes a thing-for-itself, or a means to
expand outward into more truth.

>(....)

> >> Sorry, I don't really understand that phrase, which seems to pop up in
> >> philosophical discussions.
> >>
> >> What does it mean, for example, to say that the axiom in ZFC "(A = B)
> >> iff an element x is in A if and only if it is in B" is not "a thing in
> >> itself"?

> >Something is a thing-in-itself when you lack the basis to further break
> >it down into more primitive components.

> Beliefs, axioms, and assumptions constitute the infinte set of all
> things people are too lazy or stupid to break down.

No, we chose not to break them down further to avoid the
contradictions/inconsistencies encountered with the previous go-round.

karl m

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?