The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Jack Markan

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> Well, Moe, it's not the truth of theorems which concerns me but the
> truth and demonstration of axioms. If you want to assume geometric
> objects as auxilliary notions within set theory definitions for
> circles go ahead. Just don't try to tell me they define anything with
> set theory.

I have no interest in convincing you of the benefits of set theory. But
in stating my own observations, in contrast with yours, I note that set
theory does allow precise definitions of such things as 'is a circle'.

> I have no idea what set theory may be apart from what has been
> conveyed to me by others. I doubt many do.

I know what set theory is, as it is defined in certain systematic
treatments of the subject.

> There is an empty set axiom sometimes stated, but it is
> >superfluous, as it is derivable from the axiom schema of separation and
> >the axiom of extensionality. As to a suc(0) axiom of set theory, I
> >still don't know what you have in mind, since you don't.

> You might consider asking those who use the phrases themselves unless
> you yourself intend to claim you invented the subject.

I don't know of any treatment of set theory that has axioms named 'suc(
)' or 'suc(0)', so since you don't know what they mean, I can only let
them rest as meaningless verbiage.

> >Seems to you, but not to anyone who can follow a basic mathematical
> >definition. As I defined a 'circle', it is a set of points in RXR all
> >equidistant (for a distance greater than 0) from a given point. That's
> >a circle, not a sphere.

> Actually not unless you assume your points all lie on a plane to begin
> with which is a geometrical assumption and not a set definition.

I corrected to say that a circle in RXR is a sphere. As to where points
lie, geometry, and set theory, you don't have to accept this for
yourself, but it is easy to express basic geometric principles in set
theory.

> >There's no lack of ability to express 'dimension', 'space', and
> >'n-dimensional space' in set theory.

> To use the words perhaps not. But the objects referred to are
> nonetheless geometric not numeric objects. When used in set theory
> definitions they're nothing but geometric not arithmetic auxilliaries.

Whatever you call the abstractions, whether 'geometric', 'numeric', or
'arithmetic auxillaries', they are formalizable in set theory.

> >'straight line' and 'plane' are easily defined in set theory.
>
> Sure they are:
>
> "A straight line is the set of all points on a straight line".
>
> "A plane is the set of all points on a plane".
>
> "Universal truth is the set of all points which are universally true."
>
> See how easy that was?

By 'defined', obviously, I don't include circular definitions.

MoeBlee

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?