The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

malbrain@yahoo.com

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> On 17 Jul 2006 16:22:23 -0700, "Karl Malbrain" <malbrain@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Lester Zick wrote:

> >> Not exactly. All you've got at that point is axiomatic truth, self
> >> consistency between axiomatic assumptions and extraplated theorems.

> >And an expansion of the truth of the system.

> I'm inclined to disagree because the axioms already subsume the truth
> of the system whatever it may be.

What does this mean?

> >(...)

> >> Sez who? Axioms are as much things in themselves as any other
> >> assumptions.

> >As part of their system they go beyond that and become
> >things-for-themselves.

> I don't quite see what you mean by "things in themselves" versus
> "things for themselves". Axioms are assumptions and like all
> assumption are things whether part of a system or just plain ole
> assumptions. The utility and value of various assumptions can be
> justified by theorems extrapolated within their framework. But they
> remain assumptions.

No, axioms are active agreements between mathematicians who believe in
them and maintain them. They go beyond mere supposition.

assumption:
2. The act of taking for granted, or supposing a thing
without proof; supposition; unwarrantable claim.

karl m

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?