The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

namducnguyen

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 07:03:50 GMT, Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>

>>Virgil wrote:

>>>What is "truth"?
>>>
>>>I can deal with the tautologous logical truth of implications like "if P
>>>then (P or Q)", but other than those, which include the more complex
>>>logical deductions from a set of axioms, I know of no absolute truth.

>>If we care to consider absolute truth, then there is no such
>>thing as an absolute truth.

> Well thanks for the input. Can we take your word for this?

I don't see why not, unless an absolute truth could be demonstrated
to exist! Would

(1) (P => (P \/ Q))

constitute an absolute truth? Well, at this moment for some odd reason
"\/" to me means what "/\" means to a lot of people (and vice versa for
"/\")!. So (1) to me is not a truth; so it can not be an absolute
truth that *must be universally recognized without exception*!

>> That is: not even "tautologous logical
>>truth" would be absolute.

> Yes but tautological alternatives to necessary and universal falseness
> would perforce have to be necessarily and universally true.

Again, as has been questioned by another poster, what does "universal
falseness", or "universally true" mean?

> ~v~~

What we call 'I' is just a swinging door which moves
when we inhale and exhale.
Shunryu Suzuki

Date Subject Author
7/12/06