The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

namducnguyen

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Rupert wrote:

> Nam Nguyen wrote:
>

>>Lester Zick wrote:

>>>Well thanks for the input. Can we take your word for this?

>>I don't see why not, unless an absolute truth could be demonstrated
>>to exist! Would
>>
>>(1) (P => (P \/ Q))
>>
>>constitute an absolute truth? Well, at this moment for some odd reason
>>"\/" to me means what "/\" means to a lot of people (and vice versa for
>>"/\")!. So (1) to me is not a truth; so it can not be an absolute
>>truth that *must be universally recognized without exception*!
>>

> If "absolute truth" means "something that is true regardless of which
> semantics you use" then you're right, no absolute truths exist. This is
> not a very interesting point.

Right. That's why it seems interesting (to me) that occasionally there
are "faithful debates" about what shouldn't be interesting: "absolute"
truth! Imho, the efforts should have been devoted to how FOL's
reasoning, that is based on relativity of truth, could be re-vamped.
And it does show signs of "aging": the unknownability of consistency of
a general T (and even of arithmetic), the failure of abstracting
physics-relativity into a model of a 1st-order theory. To name a couple
obvious ones.

What we call 'I' is just a swinging door which moves
when we inhale and exhale.
Shunryu Suzuki

Date Subject Author
7/12/06