The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Virgil

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

In article <4q8rb2t8c4q4g5hn5u1ht55h2pm6veb4gk@4ax.com>,
Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 01:18:48 GMT, Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>

> >Nam Nguyen wrote:

> >> I don't see why not, unless an absolute truth could be demonstrated
> >> to exist! Would
> >>
> >> (1) (P => (P \/ Q))
> >>
> >> constitute an absolute truth? Well, at this moment for some odd reason
> >> "\/" to me means what "/\" means to a lot of people (and vice versa for
> >> "/\")!. So (1) to me is not a truth; so it can not be an absolute
> >> truth that *must be universally recognized without exception*!
> >>

> >I hope though my response would *not* constitute that I'd like to
> >engage into a philosophical arguing without end. I'd just like to
> >point out that any argument that is based on "absolute" truth is
> >a futile one. For what it's, imho, worth the foundation of logical
> >reasoning has been built on relativity of truth and interpretation,
> >not on an absoluteness!

> Well, Nam, without going on endlessly I would like to ask if arguments
> based on "absolute truth" are indeed futile, are arguments based on
> "absolute falseness" necessarily equally futile?

If one excludes logical tautologies like "if P then P" and logical
contradictions like "if P then not P", yes.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger