The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Rupert

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> On 18 Jul 2006 18:19:16 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Nam Nguyen wrote:

> >> I don't see why not, unless an absolute truth could be demonstrated
> >> to exist! Would
> >>
> >> (1) (P => (P \/ Q))
> >>
> >> constitute an absolute truth? Well, at this moment for some odd reason
> >> "\/" to me means what "/\" means to a lot of people (and vice versa for
> >> "/\")!. So (1) to me is not a truth; so it can not be an absolute
> >> truth that *must be universally recognized without exception*!
> >>

> >If "absolute truth" means "something that is true regardless of which
> >semantics you use" then you're right, no absolute truths exist. This is
> >not a very interesting point.

> I agree it's not a very interesting point since you assume this truth
> absolute.

No, I don't. I certainly don't assume it absolute in Nam Nguyen's
sense. Clearly no truths are absolute in that sense.

What I said was true relative to the semantics I was actually using. It
clearly would not be true relative to any conceivable semantics. This
is trivial.

I think people who talk about absolute truth usually mean something
different to what Nam Nguyen thinks it means, and I make no comment
about whether absolute truth exists in on of these senses or whether
what I said was absolutely true in one of these senses. I merely claim
that it was true.

> >> Again, as has been questioned by another poster, what does "universal
> >> falseness", or "universally true" mean?

> >> --
> >> -----------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> What we call 'I' is just a swinging door which moves
> >> when we inhale and exhale.
> >> Shunryu Suzuki
> >> ----------------------------------------------------

> ~v~~