The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Chas Brown

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Gerry Myerson wrote:
> In article <1153273913.759438.124900@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> cbrown@cbrownsystems.com wrote:
>

> > Let us simply restrict ourselves to the cases where one makes no
> > assumption regarding CH, and where one asserts CH.
> >
> > How is this conceptually different for you than considering on the one
> > hand the usual axioms of group theory, and on the other assuming in
> > addition commutativity, so that all groups are Abelian?

> For me, it's very different, as follows.
> If I change the definition of a group to include commutativity,
> S_3 still exists; it's not a group any more, but it is
> a mathematical object about which I can prove theorems.
> If I change the definition, and you don't, you and I still have
> the same universe of mathematical objects - we just don't use
> the same words to describe them.
>

> But if you accept CH, and I don't, then I have sets of real numbers
> that are intermediate in cardinality between the integers and the reals,
> and you don't. I can prove theorems about these things, and you
> can't even see them. That (to me) is a big conceptual difference
> between assuming commutativity and assuming CH.

I preface my remarks by admitting that my knowledge of the topics of
logic and set theory amounts largely to "what I've been able to pick up
on the internet". Hopefully, I will not make a complete fool of myself.

First, if I accept the axiom of commutativity ("AoCm"), and you don't,
then we will both have simple finite groups; but you will have objects
(simple finite groups of non-prime order) which I don't. "There exists
a simple group of order 60" will be a theorem for you, and not for me;
since I can't even "see" A_5 as an object under consideration.

That seems no different from the state of affairs when I assume CH and
you do not. For example, I will consider any theorem of the form "If A
is such that w < card(A) < 2^w, then (whatever)" to follow vacuously in
my system as easily as the theorem "if ab != ba, then (whatever)"
follows for Abelian groups.

On the other hand, suppose we select some anti-foundation set theory A,
which allows the existence of a set Q = {Q}. To me, I don't (off-hand)
experience any intuitive objection to accepting this greater than what
I experienced to accept the axiom of infinity.

Does Q fail to "really" exist because we generally work in ZFC, where
sets such as Q are excluded by the axiom of regularity? Or is it the
case that, for reasons other than ontological, we just generally
restrict our theorems to be about sets which obey ZFC, just as we
sometimes restrict our reasonings to Abelian groups as opposed to
groups in general, again for reasons other than ontological?

One problem (at least!) that I can see with my analogy is that group
theory makes no claims to being foundational - one simply /must/ admit
that there are things that are perfectly sensible to consider to be
"mathematical", which are not groups, Abelian or otherwise.

Set theory, on the other hand, seems to be an attempt to assert that if
you are able to say something of "general mathematical interest" in
/any/ language, then you should also be able say it in ZFC (or NBG
or...).

Cheers - Chas

Date Subject Author
7/12/06