The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 18 Jul 2006 15:59:21 -0700, "Karl Malbrain" <malbrain@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:

>> On 17 Jul 2006 16:22:23 -0700, "Karl Malbrain" <malbrain@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >And an expansion of the truth of the system.

>> I'm inclined to disagree because the axioms already subsume the truth
>> of the system whatever it may be.

>What does this mean?

Theorems can only elaborate truth contained in axiomatic assumptions.

>> >(...)

>> >As part of their system they go beyond that and become
>> >things-for-themselves.

>> I don't quite see what you mean by "things in themselves" versus
>> "things for themselves". Axioms are assumptions and like all
>> assumption are things whether part of a system or just plain ole
>> assumptions. The utility and value of various assumptions can be
>> justified by theorems extrapolated within their framework. But they
>> remain assumptions.

>No, axioms are active agreements between mathematicians who believe in
>them and maintain them. They go beyond mere supposition.

"Active" "agreements" "believe" "maintain" are all undefined terms
equally applicable to anyone who assumes and believes anything.

>assumption:
> 2. The act of taking for granted, or supposing a thing
> without proof; supposition; unwarrantable claim.

Which is exactly what axioms are.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06