The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 18 Jul 2006 14:36:26 -0700, "Karl Malbrain" <malbrain@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:

>> On 18 Jul 2006 09:07:46 -0700, "Karl Malbrain" <malbrain@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Let's take the axiom of induction. We agree among ourselves that we
>> >don't need to prove each and every case individually. We agree that
>> >all we need is a base case and an exposition that truth at case n
>> >implies truth at case n+1.

>> >It's stronger. The axioms are agreements within themselves.

>> And beliefs are nothing but agreements within themselves.

>You're cynical, but getting close. The axioms are agreements, and our
>belief in the axioms' system becomes a thing-for-itself, or a means to
>expand outward into more truth.

Expand outward into more what? "Truth" did you say? What truth? Where
are demonstrations of this putative "truth"?

>>(....)

>> >Something is a thing-in-itself when you lack the basis to further break
>> >it down into more primitive components.

>> Beliefs, axioms, and assumptions constitute the infinte set of all
>> things people are too lazy or stupid to break down.

>No, we chose not to break them down further to avoid the
>contradictions/inconsistencies encountered with the previous go-round.

Or to avoid implications of outright turpitude and sloth on the part
of modern mathematikers too lazy or stupid to exercise more insight.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?