The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Jack Markan

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> On 18 Jul 2006 15:21:01 -0700, "MoeBlee" <jazzmobe@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >I have no interest in convincing you of the benefits of set theory. But
> >in stating my own observations, in contrast with yours, I note that set
> >theory does allow precise definitions of such things as 'is a circle'.

> If by "precise definition" you mean "arithmetic assumption" I agree.

No, I don't mean 'arithmetic assumption'. I mean a definitional axiom,
which entails that the criteria of eliminability and non-creativity are
met.

> >> I have no idea what set theory may be apart from what has been
> >> conveyed to me by others. I doubt many do.

> >I know what set theory is, as it is defined in certain systematic
> >treatments of the subject.

> Which you divined all by your lonesome and was not conveyed to you by
> others?

Conveyed by my reading of books, and by my compiling results and proofs
from different books into one ongoing document of my own, and by the
help of other people giving added explanations. That is opposed to
having only a haphazard view of basic set theory.

> >> There is an empty set axiom sometimes stated, but it is

> >> You might consider asking those who use the phrases themselves unless
> >> you yourself intend to claim you invented the subject.

> >I don't know of any treatment of set theory that has axioms named 'suc(
> >)' or 'suc(0)', so since you don't know what they mean, I can only let
> >them rest as meaningless verbiage.

> Alas I have been lead astray once more!

You get better view from reading textbooks.

> >> Actually not unless you assume your points all lie on a plane to begin
> >> with which is a geometrical assumption and not a set definition.

> >I corrected to say that a circle in RXR is a sphere.

> Good. So when asked for the set theory definition of a circle you
> provided the set theory definition of a sphere. It's good to know you
> understand set theory well enough to provide incorrect definitions at
> the drop of a hat.

No my formulation of a definition of 'is a circle' is fine; what I had
to correct is my error in saying that a circle in RXR is not also a
sphere.

> >As to where points
> >lie, geometry, and set theory, you don't have to accept this for
> >yourself, but it is easy to express basic geometric principles in set
> >theory.

> But it isn't quite so easy to provide correct definitions for
> geometric objects in set theory apparently.

I'm not aware of any basic geometry that can't be formalized in set
theory. I'm confident that if you knew basic predicate calculus and
basic set theory, then you'd be able to make such formulations
yourself.

> All you can do is express
> what geometric objects sets of all points describe according to what
> geometric figures they conform to. That's not a definition. It's a
> description.

I gave a fine definition, in biconditional form, of the predicate 'is a
circle'.

> >Whatever you call the abstractions, whether 'geometric', 'numeric', or
> >'arithmetic auxillaries', they are formalizable in set theory.

> Yes well we're still waiting for these formal definitions of a circle
> in set theory.

I already gave a definition of 'is a circle'.

> And by "defined" apparently you don't include set definitions either.

By 'defined', in this context, I mean having given a definitional
axiom, which entails that the criteria of eliminability and
non-creativity are met.

MoeBlee

Date Subject Author
7/12/06