The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Virgil

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

In article <j5psb2hmn4mbg1acuv8jajis6ft9sn7374@4ax.com>,
Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:30:41 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> >In article <l9jqb2d0ps4cfhubt1kv4h1rvbimiigqok@4ax.com>,
> > Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:

> >> Well thanks for the input. Can we take your word for this?

> >> Yes but tautological alternatives to necessary and universal falseness
> >> would perforce have to be necessarily and universally true.

> >What is an example of your notion of "necessary and universal
> >falseness"?
> >
> >And what do you mean by a " tautological alternative to necessary and
> >universal falseness"? An example would be useful, and anything less is
> >liable to be merely more gobbledegook.

> So the general proposition cited above can only be gobbledegook and
> cannot be true absent particular examples acceptable to you?

If you are unable to provide any examples of what you say you mean, I
take leave to doubt that you know what you mean, or that you mean
anything at all.

> If you're
> too lazy or stupid to evaluate the general claim I doubt you have the
> acumen to evaluate particular instantiations of the general claim.

That ad hominem confirms me in my belief that there is no meaningful
content to" tautological alternative to necessary and universal
falseness"

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?