The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 03:56:06 GMT, Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:

>> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 01:18:48 GMT, Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen@shaw.ca>
>> wrote:

>>>I hope though my response would *not* constitute that I'd like to
>>>engage into a philosophical arguing without end. I'd just like to
>>>point out that any argument that is based on "absolute" truth is
>>>a futile one. For what it's, imho, worth the foundation of logical
>>>reasoning has been built on relativity of truth and interpretation,
>>>not on an absoluteness!

>> Well, Nam, without going on endlessly I would like to ask if arguments
>> based on "absolute truth" are indeed futile, are arguments based on
>> "absolute falseness" necessarily equally futile?

>It's equally futile! To the extend that you (or anyone) could
>"know"/"define" something as "absolute", then it's already relative.

Not if the absolute falseness can be used to demonstrate the universal
truth. Then the truth proven is only relative to absolute falseness.

>In physics, what does it mean to be absolutely true or false that
>2 events occur simultaneously? In mathematics (which is "the" language
>of science), is there any absoluteness in interpretation? in knowing or
>assuming what theory T a particular formula F would be a theorem?
>in knowing what a particular theory T is "about"? in choosing what
>logical framework in which the reasoning would be conducted? etc...
>mutatis mutandis.

Well I think you're being a little to categorical in your assumptions.
Basically you keep reiterating your claim that there can be no
absolute truth with only vague dialectics in support.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?