The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 18 Jul 2006 21:52:25 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:

>> On 18 Jul 2006 18:19:16 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >If "absolute truth" means "something that is true regardless of which
>> >semantics you use" then you're right, no absolute truths exist. This is
>> >not a very interesting point.

>> I agree it's not a very interesting point since you assume this truth
>> absolute.
>>

>No, I don't. I certainly don't assume it absolute in Nam Nguyen's
>sense. Clearly no truths are absolute in that sense.

Oho?

>What I said was true relative to the semantics I was actually using. It
>clearly would not be true relative to any conceivable semantics. This
>is trivial.

Certainly it seems so to those prefer to deal in assumptions of truth
and assume so.

>I think people who talk about absolute truth usually mean something
>different to what Nam Nguyen thinks it means

Not at all if I intuit your point correctly. The claim I make is
intended literally and exactly.

> , and I make no comment
>about whether absolute truth exists in on of these senses or whether
>what I said was absolutely true in one of these senses. I merely claim
>that it was true.

>> ~v~~

~v~~

Date Subject Author