The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Chas Brown

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Aatu Koskensilta wrote:
> cbrown@cbrownsystems.com wrote:
> > Aatu Koskensilta wrote:
> >> Obviously it makes no sense to agree or disagree with the group axioms.
> >> It does make perfect sense to agree or disagree, or remain agnostic
> >> about, that there exists a measurable cardinal, or that a particular
> >> primitive recursive ordering of naturals has no primitive recursive
> >> infinite descending sequences.

> > Well, this is a bit out of my depth, but my understanding is that, say,
> > regarding the Continuum Hypothesis, one can have no opinion, one can
> > assert it, or one can assert its negation.

> Why? Do you think similarly one can have no opinion regarding the
> consistency of ZFC and that one can assert it or one can assert its
> negation?

My knowledge of the proper use of the word "consistent" in this context
is probably weak, so have mercy :).

I see that as being a bit of a different question; which could be asked
about just about any theory I might work in. If I am working with a set
of axioms T, then what is the utility to me of choosing to add "T is
consistent" as an axiom? If I am worried that T is not consistent,
simply asserting that it is consistent doesn't "fix" whatever problem I
suspect there may be in the formulation of T; it won't make any
contradictions "go away".

Conversely, if I assume that T is inconsistent (i.e., that there exists
a proposition P such that both P and ~P can be /proven/ in T,
correct?), then it seems to me that one can therefore use that axiom to
prove anything in T that one wishes (is that not correct?). In that
case, why bother with an axiom system at all? Simply assert whatever
you wish to be true; you certainly don't need to worry about
consequences.

Take AoC instead of CH as an example. It /does/ seem to be a topic of
mathematical interest to distinguish between results that can be
obtained depending on whether we use AoC or not; and I presume that is
because mathematicians consider it reasonable to say that of AoC, one
can have no opinion, one can assert it, or one can assert its negation.
Is that not the case?

> > In each case, there are a different set of theorems which can be proven
> > under these assumptions. And a different universe of sets which can be
> > said to exist or not exist.

> The problem with this idea is that set theoretical principles have
> consequences that concern things mathematicians think of as uniquely
> determined, such as the naturals, reals and so forth.

Yes, this gets to the real nut of my question. As I noted in my other
reply, group theory makes no attempt to be "foundational"; while set
theory clearly aspires to this role.

> While in set
> theoretical contexts talk about "different universes" might make some
> marginal sense, surely it makes no sense to speak of there being
> "different natural number systems".

In my ignorance, I sometimes get the sense (possibly mistaken) that
something like this is what people are trying to imply when they say
things like "a non-standard model of PA", or the like.

At any rate, to me the issue is whether the axioms of ZFC are intended
to be descriptive or proscriptive.

>From my naive viewpoint, I think of it as being descriptive. For lack
of a better term, I "believe in" the naturals numbers, and certainly
the natural numbers that I believe in are accurately described by ZFC
(as are all the other structures I typically "believe in"). This leads
me to think that what I call "the naturals" and what you call "the
naturals" are really "the same thing" - because we both use the same
description of these beasties.

But I am also willing to accept that there are perfectly valid
mathematical ideas that /cannot/ be expressed in ZFC (or may even be
false in ZFC). I am also willing to entertain the notion that some of
the objects described by ZFC are so alien to my thinking that I have no
particular opinion on whether they are "real" or "not real" - they are
simply results that follow from ZFC which don't happen to describe
anything conceptually relevant to me.

I think the proscriptive view - that any set which cannot exist in ZFC
is not "really" a mathematical object, and so ZFC is "the truth" about
all mathematical objects - is a bit too restrictive for my tastes. The
example I gave else-thread is the set Q = {Q}. If the axioms of ZFC are
true, then Q doesn't exist; and that seems a bit extreme to me as a
statement (although I certainly can see the utility of excluding such
sets in most contexts, and don't object to generally excluding such
objects).

> > How is this conceptually different for you than considering on the one
> > hand the usual axioms of group theory, and on the other assuming in
> > addition commutativity, so that all groups are Abelian?

> The difference is that in group theory one studies various structures
> with various properties. The axioms in that cases are used just to pick
> the sort of structure one is interested in. Set theoretical axioms,
> axioms about well-orderedness of primitive recursive orderings, etc.
> aren't used to pick any structures, but rather to provide information
> about one structure.

How would you refute the idea that instead, set theory "picks" a
particular structure, out of some universe of structures, which
contains as a proper subset of great breadth descriptions of the
properties of "almost all" the most commonly encountered mathematical
structures (i.e., the structures that "we" are "most interested in")?
The fact the goal of this exercise is to also provide information about
that one "picked" structure is not so different than the goal of
setting out the axioms of Abelian groups as a method of providing
information about that particular structure as well.

Cheers - Chas

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?