The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 12:29:53 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <cqosb2hc7d50tr1puqn667aulf15894i8g@4ax.com>,
> Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:
>

>> On 18 Jul 2006 14:36:26 -0700, "Karl Malbrain" <malbrain@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >No, we chose not to break them down further to avoid the
>> >contradictions/inconsistencies encountered with the previous go-round.

>> Or to avoid implications of outright turpitude and sloth on the part
>> of modern mathematikers too lazy or stupid to exercise more insight.

>If every mathematician spent as much time dealing with foundations as
>you seem to want, no other math would ever get done.
>
>Is that what you want?

What I want is to avoid extravagantly stupid claims that transfinite
arithmetic and set theory encompass all of mathematics so we can
properly examine the basis of axiomatic assumptions regarding
definitions of things such as curves, straight lines, transcendental
numbers, angular momentum, and quantum effects on a sound unassuming
analytical foundation. It might be too much to ask of professional
academics but not of real scientists.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06