The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 19 Jul 2006 11:15:56 -0700, "MoeBlee" <jazzmobe@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:
>> On 18 Jul 2006 15:21:01 -0700, "MoeBlee" <jazzmobe@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >I have no interest in convincing you of the benefits of set theory. But
>> >in stating my own observations, in contrast with yours, I note that set
>> >theory does allow precise definitions of such things as 'is a circle'.

>> If by "precise definition" you mean "arithmetic assumption" I agree.

>No, I don't mean 'arithmetic assumption'. I mean a definitional axiom,
>which entails that the criteria of eliminability and non-creativity are
>met.

Yeah too bad an accurate definition for a circle isn't met as well.

>> >I know what set theory is, as it is defined in certain systematic
>> >treatments of the subject.

>> Which you divined all by your lonesome and was not conveyed to you by
>> others?

>Conveyed by my reading of books, and by my compiling results and proofs
>from different books into one ongoing document of my own, and by the
>help of other people giving added explanations. That is opposed to
>having only a haphazard view of basic set theory.

In other words I have a view provided by others as do you.

>> >I don't know of any treatment of set theory that has axioms named 'suc(
>> >)' or 'suc(0)', so since you don't know what they mean, I can only let
>> >them rest as meaningless verbiage.

>> Alas I have been lead astray once more!

>You get better view from reading textbooks.

Sure like definitions of spheres you choose to call circles.

>> >I corrected to say that a circle in RXR is a sphere.

>> Good. So when asked for the set theory definition of a circle you
>> provided the set theory definition of a sphere. It's good to know you
>> understand set theory well enough to provide incorrect definitions at
>> the drop of a hat.

>No my formulation of a definition of 'is a circle' is fine; what I had
>to correct is my error in saying that a circle in RXR is not also a
>sphere.

In RxR? Is that perchance another name for where points fall in Spain?

>> >As to where points
>> >lie, geometry, and set theory, you don't have to accept this for
>> >yourself, but it is easy to express basic geometric principles in set
>> >theory.

>> But it isn't quite so easy to provide correct definitions for
>> geometric objects in set theory apparently.

>I'm not aware of any basic geometry that can't be formalized in set
>theory. I'm confident that if you knew basic predicate calculus and
>basic set theory, then you'd be able to make such formulations
>yourself.

Oh if I could just assume whatever I wanted I could sure as hell draw
the prettiest definitions of circles in set theory you ever saw. Just
wouldn't make them circles.

>> All you can do is express
>> what geometric objects sets of all points describe according to what
>> geometric figures they conform to. That's not a definition. It's a
>> description.

>I gave a fine definition, in biconditional form, of the predicate 'is a
>circle'.

Which turned out to be nothing more or less than a sphere intersected
by an undefined geometrical object also known in the parlance as a
plane which you just assumed without definition.

>> >Whatever you call the abstractions, whether 'geometric', 'numeric', or
>> >'arithmetic auxillaries', they are formalizable in set theory.

>> Yes well we're still waiting for these formal definitions of a circle
>> in set theory.

>I already gave a definition of 'is a circle'.

For which you just assumed a plane.

>> And by "defined" apparently you don't include set definitions either.
>
>By 'defined', in this context, I mean having given a definitional
>axiom, which entails that the criteria of eliminability and
>non-creativity are met.

So now a definition becomes a definitional axiom in which you just
assume geometric objects like planes without definition?

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?