The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Virgil

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

In article <56qsb25mkjuhkk7h5a3upjeljk5hn7j4sk@4ax.com>,
Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:

> On 18 Jul 2006 15:21:01 -0700, "MoeBlee" <jazzmobe@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> >Lester Zick wrote:
> >> Well, Moe, it's not the truth of theorems which concerns me but the
> >> truth and demonstration of axioms. If you want to assume geometric
> >> objects as auxilliary notions within set theory definitions for
> >> circles go ahead. Just don't try to tell me they define anything with
> >> set theory.

> >I have no interest in convincing you of the benefits of set theory. But
> >in stating my own observations, in contrast with yours, I note that set
> >theory does allow precise definitions of such things as 'is a circle'.

> If by "precise definition" you mean "arithmetic assumption" I agree.

Why should you assume he means what he does not say when what he does
say is quite meaningful enough?

> >> I have no idea what set theory may be apart from what has been
> >> conveyed to me by others. I doubt many do.

> >I know what set theory is, as it is defined in certain systematic
> >treatments of the subject.

> Which you divined all by your lonesome and was not conveyed to you by
> others?

Why should he have to reinvent what has already been adequately invented?

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger