The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Jack Markan

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> [...]

> >No, I don't mean 'arithmetic assumption'. I mean a definitional axiom,
> >which entails that the criteria of eliminability and non-creativity are
> >met.

> Yeah too bad an accurate definition for a circle isn't met as well.

> >> Which you divined all by your lonesome and was not conveyed to you by
> >> others?

> >Conveyed by my reading of books, and by my compiling results and proofs
> >from different books into one ongoing document of my own, and by the
> >help of other people giving added explanations. That is opposed to
> >having only a haphazard view of basic set theory.

> In other words I have a view provided by others as do you.

> >> Alas I have been lead astray once more!

> >You get better view from reading textbooks.

> Sure like definitions of spheres you choose to call circles.

> >> Good. So when asked for the set theory definition of a circle you
> >> provided the set theory definition of a sphere. It's good to know you
> >> understand set theory well enough to provide incorrect definitions at
> >> the drop of a hat.

> >No my formulation of a definition of 'is a circle' is fine; what I had
> >to correct is my error in saying that a circle in RXR is not also a
> >sphere.

> In RxR? Is that perchance another name for where points fall in Spain?

> >> But it isn't quite so easy to provide correct definitions for
> >> geometric objects in set theory apparently.

> >I'm not aware of any basic geometry that can't be formalized in set
> >theory. I'm confident that if you knew basic predicate calculus and
> >basic set theory, then you'd be able to make such formulations
> >yourself.

> Oh if I could just assume whatever I wanted I could sure as hell draw
> the prettiest definitions of circles in set theory you ever saw. Just
> wouldn't make them circles.
>

> >> All you can do is express
> >> what geometric objects sets of all points describe according to what
> >> geometric figures they conform to. That's not a definition. It's a
> >> description.

> >I gave a fine definition, in biconditional form, of the predicate 'is a
> >circle'.

> Which turned out to be nothing more or less than a sphere intersected
> by an undefined geometrical object also known in the parlance as a
> plane which you just assumed without definition.

> >> Yes well we're still waiting for these formal definitions of a circle
> >> in set theory.

> >I already gave a definition of 'is a circle'.

> For which you just assumed a plane.
>

> >> And by "defined" apparently you don't include set definitions either.
> >
> >By 'defined', in this context, I mean having given a definitional
> >axiom, which entails that the criteria of eliminability and
> >non-creativity are met.

> So now a definition becomes a definitional axiom in which you just
> assume geometric objects like planes without definition?

A good beginning discussion of the subject of mathematical definitions
is in Suppes's 'Introduction To Logic'. But in order not to inhibit the
metastasis of your own convictions, I recommmend that you not read such
books.

MoeBlee

Date Subject Author
7/12/06