The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Gerry Myerson

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

In article <1153305890.677582.27740@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
cbrown@cbrownsystems.com wrote:

> Gerry Myerson wrote:
> > In article <1153273913.759438.124900@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> > cbrown@cbrownsystems.com wrote:
> >

> > > Let us simply restrict ourselves to the cases where one makes no
> > > assumption regarding CH, and where one asserts CH.
> > >
> > > How is this conceptually different for you than considering on the one
> > > hand the usual axioms of group theory, and on the other assuming in
> > > addition commutativity, so that all groups are Abelian?

> > For me, it's very different, as follows.
> > If I change the definition of a group to include commutativity,
> > S_3 still exists; it's not a group any more, but it is
> > a mathematical object about which I can prove theorems.
> > If I change the definition, and you don't, you and I still have
> > the same universe of mathematical objects - we just don't use
> > the same words to describe them.
> >

> > But if you accept CH, and I don't, then I have sets of real numbers
> > that are intermediate in cardinality between the integers and the reals,
> > and you don't. I can prove theorems about these things, and you
> > can't even see them. That (to me) is a big conceptual difference
> > between assuming commutativity and assuming CH.
> >

> I preface my remarks by admitting that my knowledge of the topics of
> logic and set theory amounts largely to "what I've been able to pick up
> on the internet". Hopefully, I will not make a complete fool of myself.
>
> First, if I accept the axiom of commutativity ("AoCm"), and you don't,
> then we will both have simple finite groups; but you will have objects
> (simple finite groups of non-prime order) which I don't. "There exists
> a simple group of order 60" will be a theorem for you, and not for me;
> since I can't even "see" A_5 as an object under consideration.

You won't have any trouble seeing A_5. You just won't accept
that it is a group. You and I will be able to talk about it,
and prove theorems about it, provided I agree to call it an
almost-group or a not-quite-group or something like that, and
don't insist on calling it a group. You and I will have the same
objects, just different terminology.

> That seems no different from the state of affairs when I assume CH and
> you do not. For example, I will consider any theorem of the form "If A
> is such that w < card(A) < 2^w, then (whatever)" to follow vacuously in
> my system as easily as the theorem "if ab != ba, then (whatever)"
> follows for Abelian groups.

But what will you make of the theorem, "There exists a set A of reals
with cardinality strictly between that of the integers and that of
the reals"? This isn't a question of terminology - you and I disagree
about the existence of this set, not about what to call it.

I'll snip the well-foundedness stuff, as I have nought to say on't.

> One problem (at least!) that I can see with my analogy is that group
> theory makes no claims to being foundational - one simply /must/ admit
> that there are things that are perfectly sensible to consider to be
> "mathematical", which are not groups, Abelian or otherwise.
>
> Set theory, on the other hand, seems to be an attempt to assert that if
> you are able to say something of "general mathematical interest" in
> /any/ language, then you should also be able say it in ZFC (or NBG
> or...).

Agreed. I think I said something similar somewhere in this thread.

--
Gerry Myerson (gerry@maths.mq.edi.ai) (i -> u for email)

Date Subject Author
7/12/06