The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:52:29 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <itatb21s91un4gdkr6ekcmrei00h0ju97f@4ax.com>,
> Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 12:33:51 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> >If you are unable to provide any examples of what you say you mean, I
>> >take leave to doubt that you know what you mean, or that you mean
>> >anything at all.

>> Who says I'm unable

>I did not say you could not, only that you have not.

Nonsense. You said "unable". If you can't even recognize your own
words there's nothing to talk about.

>> and why can't the general claim itself be
>> evaluated without exemplification?

>Because I have no idea what your "general claim" is claiming.

That the alternative to absolute falseness in universal terms is
perforce universally true.

>> If we can't agree on the general
>> proposition we're certainly not going to be able to agree on
>> particular examples.

> Your "general propsition" seems to be an assertion that somethings
>exists, but your description of what those somethings are amorphous.

Then read it again.

>> I've noticed a common tendency with those unable
>> to argue effectively against a general proposition to demand examples
>> so they can argue ad nauseum about those instead.

>I am not "arguing against it", I am merely refusing to accept what I do
>not understand. if you expect acceptance from me, it is your job to make
>your position clear.

Then I suggest you explain what you don't find clear. So far whatever
it is you're refusing to accept is amorphous.

>> My impression is
>> that you want to deny that alternatives to universal falseness would
>> perforce be universally true so as to reject any implicit possibility
>> of universal truth but don't know how to proceed and need examples to
>> argue about instead.

> My impression is that agreeing that "alternatives to universal
>falseness would perforce be universally true" requires agreement on at
>least what "universal falseness" means and what "universal truth" means,
>and I have no referents for either.

I can't see how you need to understand what either means in order to
evaluate the general proposition provided you understand that they're
alternatives to one another.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06