The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:57:03 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <0kbtb2h2vvto820g5mg9e2arfa3btffo9q@4ax.com>,
> Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 12:40:54 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>> >May one assume that "The universal self contradiction" would be
>> >something Like "P and not P".

>> More likely "not not".

>if that is Zickian "universal self contradiction" , I was right to be
>dubious, as to me it is merely a double negative, poor grammar but not
>anything universal.

And certainly not self contradictory, huh?

>> >If so then one "tautological alternative" would be the law of the
>> >excluded middle, i.e., "P or not P".

>> "Not" is the tautological alternative to "not not". The excluded
>> middle is the reason we must reduce possible predicates to an absolute
>> mechanical minimum.

>Then where do "not not not" and "not not not not", and so on, fit in?

Do "not" and "not not" exhaustive possibilities for truth? If they do
who cares where various compoundings fit in at this juncture.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?