The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 19 Jul 2006 16:22:52 -0700, "MoeBlee" <jazzmobe@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:

>> >No, we don't. The definitions satisfy the criteria of eliminability and
>> >non-creatitivity.

>> "Non creativity" is sure hell the truth since you have the hutzpah
>> just to assume what you can't demonstrate.
>>

>> > Also, RXR is proven to exist from the axioms and it
>> >is not even required to prove that RXR exists just to define the
>> >predicate 'is a circle'.

>> It is certainly not required to baldly assert the predicate is a
>> circle even though it's really a sphere. Just takes balls.
>>
>> If such definitions satisfy criteria of non creativity and
>> eliminability they should be non creatively eliminated.

>I am daunted just to behold your daring wordplay.

More like childplay than wordplay when modern mathematikers have the
unmitigated gall to co opt generic language terms the way they do and
pretend no one will object then the unmitigated effrontery to insist
that they know whereof they speak better than everyone else with
straight faces.

>Are there any mathematical texts, particularly foundational ones, that
>your recommend?

No idear. I've written a coupla basic tutorials covering specific
issues mostly on the web. If you're really interested I can recommend
some threads on the usenet going back to 2004.

Look, Moe, if someone tells me that "every point on a circle is
equidistant from some point" I'm inclined to say thanks for the
insight but I coulda probably figured that out for myself. But if
someone comes along and tries to tell me "all points equidistant from
any point is a circle" the way Bob Kolker did a year or so ago I'm
inclined to say horseshit: you don't know what you're talking about.
Then if someone comes along and tells me "I was really describing
points on a plane" the way Bob tried to justify his definition then
I'm inclined to say well that's true enough but you're citing facts
not in evidence because you haven't defined a plane in comparable
terms; you've just assumed everyone knows what you mean from Euclidean
geometry not set theory.

Then if someone comes along and tells me that transcendentals are
irrational and rationals and irrationals fall on one magic real number
line I'm inclined to say someone has been receiving money for studying
mathematics when all that's being studied is common fraud.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?