The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Virgil

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

In article <rjptb2l988il6lba22msi3e2gabqinmcb6@4ax.com>,
Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:19:04 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> >In article <eqqsb2h4scqbnrrirk4ohk2cico4quop31@4ax.com>,

> >> Zick doesn't seem to imply anything of the kind. He states it straight
> >> out.

> >> What's not available to him?

> > Any "absolute truth" that is totally independent of any assumptions.
> >
> >At least he has never shown us any.

> If exhaustive alternatives are true and false then I merely assume one
> is true and the other false.

But how does one tell which is which, or even that we truly have
exhausted all possibilities?

In any case there are those who claim that one cannot exhaust
alternatives in any way which assures that any particular one of them
must be true (they reject the law of the excluded middle), which means
no absolute truth.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?