The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Aatu Koskensilta

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

cbrown@cbrownsystems.com wrote:
> Aatu Koskensilta wrote:
>> Why? Do you think similarly one can have no opinion regarding the
>> consistency of ZFC and that one can assert it or one can assert its
>> negation?

> I see that as being a bit of a different question; which could be asked
> about just about any theory I might work in. If I am working with a set
> of axioms T, then what is the utility to me of choosing to add "T is
> consistent" as an axiom? If I am worried that T is not consistent,
> simply asserting that it is consistent doesn't "fix" whatever problem I
> suspect there may be in the formulation of T; it won't make any
> contradictions "go away".

This observation is of course completely unobjectionable. The point of
my question was rather that if the reason that one can have no opinion
regarding the continuum hypothesis is its independence in ZFC then
similarly one should conclude that no opinion can be held about the
consistency of ZFC. That, of course, would be silly. The consistency of
ZFC is a trivial consequence of the truth of its axioms. The continuum
hypothesis is not decided by similar trivial considerations, but there
is no reason to think that one can't have opinion about it. All sorts of
reflections on the informal picture of sets, large cardinals,
determinacy, invariance under forcing, and what you have, might lead one
to conclude that the continuum hypothesis is false, or true as the case
might be.

> Take AoC instead of CH as an example. It /does/ seem to be a topic of
> mathematical interest to distinguish between results that can be
> obtained depending on whether we use AoC or not; and I presume that is
> because mathematicians consider it reasonable to say that of AoC, one
> can have no opinion, one can assert it, or one can assert its negation.
> Is that not the case?

Logicians and set theorists often note the use of the axiom of choice,
and try to find out whether its necessary or not in establishing this or
that. Mathematicians in general just don't care and freely invoke
choice, in many cases without noticing. This is because choice is, to
most people, obviously true.

It seems that the idea that regarding choice one can have no opinion is
again based on the independence results. This line of thought seems to
lead one to conclude that about the axiom of replacement one can have no
opinion, because it is independent of Zermelo set theory, that about the
axiom of powerset one can have no opinion because it is independent of
ZFC - powerset, and so forth. What, then, can one have an opinion about?

>> While in set
>> theoretical contexts talk about "different universes" might make some
>> marginal sense, surely it makes no sense to speak of there being
>> "different natural number systems".

> In my ignorance, I sometimes get the sense (possibly mistaken) that
> something like this is what people are trying to imply when they say
> things like "a non-standard model of PA", or the like.

Logicians talk about non-standard models of PA all the time. These are
just rather curious mathematical structures, not "different natural
numbers" in any sense.

> I think the proscriptive view - that any set which cannot exist in ZFC
> is not "really" a mathematical object, and so ZFC is "the truth" about
> all mathematical objects - is a bit too restrictive for my tastes. The
> example I gave else-thread is the set Q = {Q}. If the axioms of ZFC are
> true, then Q doesn't exist; and that seems a bit extreme to me as a
> statement (although I certainly can see the utility of excluding such
> sets in most contexts, and don't object to generally excluding such
> objects).

The axioms of ZFC are, anachronistically, based on the informal picture
of the cumulative hierarchy. In this picture there is no place for
illfounded sets. There is an alternative picture, mutually interpretable
with the standard one, in which to every possibly cyclic directed graph
there corresponds a set the epsilon diagram of which is isomorphic to
that graph. But as an example of a perfectly fine mathematical object
that certainly exists while not being even definable in the language of
set theory, we can consider the set of (Gödel numbers of) true sentences
in the language of set theory. In the language of set theory we can't
express the existence or non-existence of this set at all.

> How would you refute the idea that instead, set theory "picks" a
> particular structure, out of some universe of structures, which
> contains as a proper subset of great breadth descriptions of the
> properties of "almost all" the most commonly encountered mathematical
> structures (i.e., the structures that "we" are "most interested in")?

My remarks are based on somewhat more mundane considerations; in group
theory one often says things like "let A be an Abelian group such that
..." but in number theory one does not say "let <W,s,f,g> be a structure
in which all the arithmetical consequences of ZFC hold" or "let
<W,s,f,g> be a natural number structure in which the twin prime
conjecture holds". In set theory one does hear things like "let
<W,epsilon> be a countable transitive model of ZFC", but these models
and structures are just sets in the set theoretical universe and the
role of the axioms of ZFC is not to pick these structures but rather to
codify and explicate our knowledge of this universe.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta@xortec.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man schweigen"

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger