The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 20:00:59 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <tomtb2la22cfo3digictmdgp6bnuh38dcr@4ax.com>,
> Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:52:29 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>> >I did not say you could not, only that you have not.

>> Nonsense. You said "unable". If you can't even recognize your own
>> words there's nothing to talk about.

>I said "if you are unable".

Which you denied you said.

>If Zick cannot recognize the difference, perhaps he is the one who who
>has nothing to talk about.
>
>So far Zick has given no evidence of being able to give any examples,

And Verge has given no evidence of being able to reason about truth.

> so
>I will take leave to doubt that what he has been saying means anything
>at all.

>> >Because I have no idea what your "general claim" is claiming.

>> That the alternative to absolute falseness in universal terms is
>> perforce universally true.

>As you have given me no reason to suppose that there are any such things
>as 'absolute falseness' or 'universal truth', much less that you can
>provide instances of either, I have good reason to doubt you.

I've given the example of alternatives to absolute falseness which you
cannot judge.

>> > My impression is that agreeing that "alternatives to universal
>> >falseness would perforce be universally true" requires agreement on at
>> >least what "universal falseness" means and what "universal truth" means,
>> >and I have no referents for either.

>> I can't see how you need to understand what either means in order to
>> evaluate the general proposition provided you understand that they're
>> alternatives to one another.

>You claim them to be. But on what evidence? Until you provide evidence
>that at least one of them actually exists, there is nothing to discuss.

Uh not really when you can't judge the hypothetical.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?