The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 20 Jul 2006 02:18:57 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:

>> On 18 Jul 2006 21:52:25 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >No, I don't. I certainly don't assume it absolute in Nam Nguyen's
>> >sense. Clearly no truths are absolute in that sense.

>> Oho?
>>

>> >What I said was true relative to the semantics I was actually using. It
>> >clearly would not be true relative to any conceivable semantics. This
>> >is trivial.

>> Certainly it seems so to those prefer to deal in assumptions of truth
>> and assume so.
>>

>No "seems" about it. It's completely obvious. What contestable
>assumption do you think I'm making?

I didn't say "contestable assumption". What I said was "assumption".
Assumptions refer to a lack of demonstration. You certainly assume
what you don't demonstrate by calling it obvious. Obviously it is a
canonical assumption on your part that what you say is true. Whether
it is actually true or not however remains to be seen.

>> >I think people who talk about absolute truth usually mean something
>> >different to what Nam Nguyen thinks it means

>> Not at all

>What's your evidence?

If you would be so good as to clarify what Nam thinks "absolute truth"
means I'll try to supply it. It may or may not be "different to" what
others think but I have no doubt it will be "different from" what you,
Nam, and others think.

>> if I intuit your point correctly. The claim I make is
>> intended literally and exactly.
>>

>What claim?

What claim were you referring to? We seem to be in a "he said/she
said" mode at this point where it's difficult to discern what each of
us is referring to. My claim in general terms is that the alternative
to absolute falseness is universally true.

>> > , and I make no comment
>> >about whether absolute truth exists in on of these senses or whether
>> >what I said was absolutely true in one of these senses. I merely claim
>> >that it was true.

>> ~v~~

~v~~

Date Subject Author