The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Virgil

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

In article <pr7vb2h029h5cttph7cdapmb8ugon172rc@4ax.com>,
Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 20:00:59 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> >In article <tomtb2la22cfo3digictmdgp6bnuh38dcr@4ax.com>,

> >> Nonsense. You said "unable". If you can't even recognize your own
> >> words there's nothing to talk about.

> >I said "if you are unable".

> Which you denied you said.

In Zick's dreams.

I have not denied saying "if Zick is impotent" in this issue but only
Zick misrepresents that as me claiming that Zick is impotent.

> >If Zick cannot recognize the difference, perhaps he is the one who who
> >has nothing to talk about.
> >
> >So far Zick has given no evidence of being able to give any examples,

> And Verge has given no evidence of being able to reason about truth.

As Zick has given no evidence that he has any absolute truth, he has
shown nothing to reason about.

> >As you have given me no reason to suppose that there are any such things
> >as 'absolute falseness' or 'universal truth', much less that you can
> >provide instances of either, I have good reason to doubt you.

> I've given the example of alternatives to absolute falseness which you
> cannot judge.

On the contrary, I can judge it garbage.

> >> I can't see how you need to understand what either means in order to
> >> evaluate the general proposition provided you understand that they're
> >> alternatives to one another.

> >You claim them to be. But on what evidence? Until you provide evidence
> >that at least one of them actually exists, there is nothing to discuss.

> Uh not really when you can't judge the hypothetical.

If they are merely hypothetical, then you are asking to have them
assumed in a context that requires that nothing be assumed.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger