The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:56:26 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <n68vb2p91g8m3nbbp0k4v7qbit7m6jfutn@4ax.com>,
> Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 19:47:02 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>> >Not in any respectable logic it doesn't. According to de Morgan's laws,
>> >"not (P and not P)" is logically equivalent to "P or not P".

>> It may be equivalent to lots of things. The issue is whether it
>> converts into itself mechanically.

>According to de Morgan, and others,
> "not (P and not P)" and
> "P or not P"
>convert quite mechanically into each other but
> "not (P and not P)" and
> "not P and P"
>do not convert into each other in any way at all.

I get dizzy just trying to read all this: Does "not (P)" convert into
"not P"? Does "not not(P)" convert into "P"?

Every logical operation represents some combination of "not" and "or".
I maintain not("P not P") converts into "not P P". You specify the
conjunction "and". But "P and not P" is only self contradictory if
both occur together. And there is nothing in the conjunction "and"
which requires this. The expression "P not P" requires this with one
predicate whereas the expression "P and not P" conjoins two different
predicates which may or may not occur together.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?