The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Rupert

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> On 20 Jul 2006 02:18:57 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Lester Zick wrote:

> >> Oho?

> >> Certainly it seems so to those prefer to deal in assumptions of truth
> >> and assume so.
> >>

> >No "seems" about it. It's completely obvious. What contestable
> >assumption do you think I'm making?

> I didn't say "contestable assumption". What I said was "assumption".
> Assumptions refer to a lack of demonstration.

In some contexts, perhaps. In some contexts I would have thought it
also implied that there was some room for reasonable doubt.

> You certainly assume
> what you don't demonstrate by calling it obvious.

It is obvious to any person of good sense.

> Obviously it is a
> canonical assumption on your part that what you say is true. Whether
> it is actually true or not however remains to be seen.

You have some doubt about it, do you? Would you like to elaborate on
this?

> >> Not at all

> >What's your evidence?

> If you would be so good as to clarify what Nam thinks "absolute truth"
> means I'll try to supply it.

As I said, Nam Nguyen seems to be using "absolute truth" to mean
"something that is true independently of which semantics we use".
Obviously no such thing exists.

> It may or may not be "different to" what
> others think but I have no doubt it will be "different from" what you,
> Nam, and others think.
>

> >> if I intuit your point correctly. The claim I make is
> >> intended literally and exactly.
> >>

> >What claim?

> What claim were you referring to?

When? I can't see where I mentioned any claim. Quote me referring to a
claim and I'll tell you what claim I was referring to.

> We seem to be in a "he said/she
> said" mode at this point where it's difficult to discern what each of
> us is referring to. My claim in general terms is that the alternative
> to absolute falseness is universally true.

What do "absolute falseness" and "universally true" mean?

> >> ~v~~

> ~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06